One of the keys to having success online (attracting customers) is having an amazing social media profile. The good news is that it is really not that difficult. Having a completely filled out profile is the key. Just like in networking, it needs to be crystal clear as to who we are, what we do, and what makes us different than everyone else. Here are 5 things that are a must when setting up our profile for a social media account.
1. A Picture: People are more likely to do business with someone they know, like, and trust. People will blow past your profile if it is an empty avatar (no pic). Well, the first impression is who we actually are. Attaching a name with a face. Now here's the key: It can't just be any picture. It needs to match our profession. A safe play is a picture of just you (not a group photo) with a friendly smile. It may be a good idea to hire a professional photographer to do your headshot so you have a great first impression on all of your social media profiles.
2. What We Do: This one may seem obvious, but it is vital that it is clear on exactly what your service or product is. If someone comes across my profile, their immediate takeaway should be that I am a social media trainer. Be very clear and descriptive so you attract people that are looking for exactly what you provide. People search profiles on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter the same way they do on Google and when you have the right keywords in your profile, you will attract people that are looking for exactly what you do.
3. Description of what makes us different: Okay, now that we've told everyone what we do, we now need to explain what makes us different from the others that do the same thing. Specializing is the key. This will lead to laser targeted leads. Ex: I have a friend that is a mortgage professional. He can help anyone, but he specializes in helping people that have just gone through a divorce. This is a very specific niche and it separates him for other people in the industry.
4. Contact information: Getting people to view our profile is the first step. What if they are interested? Now what? How do they contact us? It is important to give as many different ways to contact you as possible. Email, cell phone, direct line, other social media accounts etc. The more the better. Make it as easy as possible for someone to hire you or connect with you.
5. Link to your website: Before you hit "save" on your profile, be sure you have included a link back to your website. Not only is this more exposure for your online store front, but it counts as a link or a vote for your website and makes it more appealing in the eyes of Google. For example, Pinterest has a Google Rank of 7 (on a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the highest) so when you update your website on your Pinterest site that is a very powerful link in the search engines.
Here is a video if you are more of a visual person like me:
Whether you know it or not, people are browsing through our profiles several times a day. The more information we can provide, the better the chance you will attract new customers to you without having to ask them for business. They will be asking you! If this helped, please share it with a friend and feel free to comment below. Have a great one!